Search Menu

PPA

Welcome to Muir Woods National Monument!

Park History

Muir Woods National Monument, located north of San Francisco, is a protected area known for its old-growth coast redwood forest. The monument's history is rooted in conservation efforts, particularly by William Kent and his wife Elizabeth Thacher Kent, who purchased the land in 1905 to prevent logging. President Theodore Roosevelt officially designated it as a National Monument in 1908, and it was named in honor of naturalist John Muir.

History:

Early History:
The area, known as Redwood Canyon, was once part of a larger forest of coast redwoods that covered many northern California valleys. Due to the difficulty of accessing the canyon, it remained largely untouched by logging until the Kents purchased it.

Conservation Efforts:
William Kent, a Marin County conservationist and politician, recognized the need to protect the old-growth forest from logging and development. He bought the land in 1905, but faced a legal challenge from a local water company seeking to dam Redwood Creek.

National Monument Designation:
To safeguard the land, Kent donated 295 acres to the federal government in 1907. In 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt officially proclaimed it Muir Woods National Monument, honoring John Muir's conservation legacy.

National Park Service:
The monument became part of the newly created National Park Service in 1916, solidifying its protection and management by the federal government.

Recent History:
Muir Woods continues to be a popular destination, attracting millions of visitors annually. Ongoing efforts focus on preserving the forest ecosystem, managing visitor impacts, and collaborating with stakeholders, including the Coast Miwok descendants. -- Source Google




Gallery