Menu

Name:

Taftsville Covered Bridge

The village of Taftsville was first settled more than 70 years before the construction of the modern Taftsville Bridge.[4] Stephen Taft, after whom the village was ultimately named, arrived in the early 1790s. Within a decade of Taft's arrival, he and his brother had established a number of mills, and the increasingly busy settlement required a bridge over the Ottauquechee River. The first bridge was washed away during a flood in 1807, with its replacement also falling to floodwaters in 1811. When the third bridge at the site was again washed away during an 1828 flood, a distinguished local by the name of Solomon Emmons III was contracted to build a more resilient crossing. His timber-framed, covered bridge was completed in 1836 and still stands today as the modern Taftsville Bridge.

The Taftsville Bridge was extensively damaged by flooding caused by Hurricane Irene in 2011 and was closed for two years while repairs took place. It was reopened in September 2013. -- Source Wikipedia


Reference 1
Reference 2